As the season gets deeper into migration, here are some blogs and tools available for monitoring bird migration forecasts.
- BirdCast – The Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology’s forecast division with weekly forecasts and analysis for the United States.
- Tom Auer’s Blog – New England focus and pertinent for New Jersey.
- Woodcreeper – Dave La Puma’s venerable blog has a mid-western focus these days but continues to be useful for the Mid-Atlantic States.
- Windmap – With a high rating on the cool factor, this stunning visualization was created by Fernanda Viégas and Martin Wattenberg, the co-leaders of Google’s “Big Picture” visualization research group in Cambridge, Mass. More information about the project is here.
- U.S. national reflectivity composite loop map courtesy of the University of Wisconsin: tempest.aos.wisc.edu/radar/uscompjs.html.
- The Night Flight Calls listserv (NFC-L) can be monitored at: birding.aba.org/maillist/NFC.